Monday, June 21, 2004

Xbox 2 News

I'm not a big console person, but I enjoy following the soap opera that is the console wars. Reminds me of the home computer wars when consumers actually had choices. But, anyway. Rumor has it that Microsoft's next incarnation of the Xbox will not be backwards compatible with the current generation because it wouldn't be a selling factor. Also, with radically different hardware, it'd be too difficult--although that's the part that they aren't saying.

I don't have an Xbox, but I always thought the hard drive was a superb idea, and I'll be really sorry to see it go. And as for backwards compatibility, when I got my PS2 that was a selling point to me even though I didn't have a PS1. I realized, hey, look, if there's a game I want in the PS1's huge library, I can still play it. Excellent!

Certainly, historically there is much more justification for MS's decision. The only consoles I recall being compatible were Atari 7800 with the 2600, certainly nothing from the Nintendo/Sega wars.

No comments: